We have a number of staff who are trained BSL tutors and who can offer bespoke BSL training, either 1 to 1 or in a group up to BSL level 2.
We can either offer individual tuition or casual lessons, or a short 6-week introductory or "brush-up" course. We make a small charge for this.
Please contact us to discuss your needs.
Deaf Connexions provides a range of opportunities for you to learn and practice British Sign language BSL.
- "Start to Sign" This is our own “in house” sign language course. We have developed this ourselves working with the Deaf community and our Deaf tutors. The course is 20 weeks long and for two hours a session. It will cover a range of basic BSL vocabulary and Deaf awareness. It is a good starting place and will prepare you for a level one course. The course takes place in the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place Norwich. Please contact us for the next start date, currently the cost is £75 for the full twenty week course.
- "Signature" British Sign Language Level one course. This is a 32 week course and students can achieve a nationally recognised certificate at the end.
- Six week basic sign language course. This can be delivered to you at you venue, in the work place, or schools or community centres. It will give you the signs you need for basic communication and can be tailored to your requirements. It is a six week course of two hour sessions. The cost is £250 for us to deliver the course plus travel expenses for the tutor.
- Thursday Morning BSL Coffee Morning. Every Thursday 10.30 to 12.30 we run a BSL coffee morning at the Deaf centre, Johnson Place, Norwich. It is an informal friendly place for you to come and learn sign language with deaf and hearing people of all ages and abilities. It is free to attend and anyone is welcome to come along.
- "Sign Zone" Every Wednesday evening 6.30 to 8.30 at the Deaf Centre, John son Place, Norwich . We welcome BSL students who are learning level one or level two or anyone who wishes to brush up their skills.
- The "Talking Hands" BSL Cafe is open at the Deaf Centre from 10am to 3pm. Run by our team of Deaf Volunteers, you can buy a tea or coffee and light snacks.
All our sessions and training are provided by qualified Deaf Tutors