The Equalities Act makes it a legal requirement for service providers to ensure that their services are accessible to all, and they are obliged to make reasonable adjustments in order to ensure that they are not discriminating against disabled people.
Approximately 1 in 7 people have some kind of hearing loss and yet many organizations are still unaware how they can make their services accessible to them.
Deaf Connexions can assist organisations in becoming more accessible to people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
We can advise you on the steps you need to take to make your organisation accessible to both employees and customers who may be deaf or hard of hearing.
The access audit can cover:
- The working / listening environment.
- Environmental equipment such as minicoms, loops and visual displays.
- Staff training in the use of such equipment.
- Health and safety procedures in relation to staff and customers who may be deaf.
- Use of language Service Professionals. e.g. British Sign Language Interpreters.
Deaf Connexions offers an induction loop testing service, which would ensure your system complies with the British Standards Electrotechnical Commission. There is a minimal charge for tests to cover costs and travel expenses.
If you would like further information on how we can help your organisation to provide a better service to your customers who are deaf or hard of hearing Please "contact us". We would be happy to discuss any aspect with you.